Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rafting

I don't have many pictures from when I went rafting on the 4th but hopefully they'll be up soon.

This was where we went rafting at. We had gotten up at about 5 in the morning to catch a bus to Inje. The bus was actually really nice and we watched Quantum of Solace the whole way there. Once we got to the place we went into pension that we were staying at. Then we set off to go rafting. We suited up in our helmets, life jackets and water shoes.

When we got to the beginning of the river we had a lesson in safety. Basically if you fall into the river you lay on your back, feet facing down the river and arms out. All 8 of us (Natalie, Bill, Jess K, Brett, Abbi, Lety, Dave and me) got into our raft and set off. Not two minutes into the trip we hit our first rapid. I go flying out of the raft and am floating backwards down the river. Apparently I had forgotten the safety position. Everyone is yelling at me "Don't stand up! Safety position."

Now from first hand knowledge I can tell you I wasn't trying to stand up. The rocks in the water were basically to my chest and I was trying to get around them. Finally I got into the safety position and Dragon (our guide) pulled me in. My legs were cut up a little and I had a nice bump on my leg where I collided with a rock. My face, they say, was quite funny when I was floating down. Something resembling terror.

Since it was the 4th of July we decided to cook out. We cooked chicken pieces, some onion and green peppers and made rice. No fireworks but fun nonetheless. After dinner we all played Cranium. But midway through the guys decided that they needed to get more stuff to drink. After 45 minutes the girls gave up on them and pulled out all the mats to sleep on. When they finally came back they were all irritated that we were ready to sleep when they were just talking to some Korean rafting guides.

Somehow we all got up and went over. We set up a makeshift beer pong table using a bottle lid as the ball.
Me about to throw the "ball." I'm pretty terrible at this game and I end up not play for very long.

The Koreans were watching us and some actually came over and learned how to play. They loved it! After about 2 in the morning we finally all went to sleep and left the next day at around 11.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

your life sounds like the most exciting life ever!!

Rachael Quinn said...

omgosh im glad you're okay

now you know my face of terror in almost killing myself in a fast flowing river lol

Third Eye Gypsy said...

You're so cute! I miss you!
<3Genea

Steven Miller said...

Great story:-) I didn't know we had fun things to do here in Seoul. You've got a talent for writing.